As a business built around a love for animals, we enjoy sharing interesting information about pets whenever possible. In that spirit, we want to share six different ways that cats can make their owners healthier and happier:
1. Cats are great for sleep. If you let a cat sleep in your bed, they're twice as likely to improve your sleep as they are to disturb it.
2. Petting a cat is a great form of natural stress relief. When you physically touch a cat by petting it, your body releases chemicals that help to lower both stress and anxiety.
3. Cats are very good for your heart! Studies have found that individuals who are at risk of having a stroke due to cardiovascular disease can decrease it by having a cat. Research also shows that cats can lower humans' blood pressure and decrease the risk of a fatal heart attack by as much as thirty percent.
4. Because cats provide so much companionship, they're great for individuals who struggle with issues like loneliness. This seems to be directly related to another benefit of having a cat, which is living longer than average.
5. If you're passionate about doing your part to help the environment, you'll be interested to know that cats actually have a lower carbon footprint than dogs.
6. Although cats don't require the same amount of exercise as dogs, they still need some daily stimulation for their physical and mental health. Knowing that a cat needs to be played with helps people get up even if they've had a long day. The role of taking care a cat also provides a sense of purpose and can help with issues like mild to moderate depression.
The Best Way to Bring This Joy Into Your Home
If you've been thinking about adopting a cat for awhile, now is the perfect opportunity to make this decision official. Not only will you be able to provide a wonderful cat with a great home, but you'll personally get to enjoy all of the benefits we covered above.
In terms of where you should go to get your cat, we always encourage anyone who asks us to adopt from a local shelter like BARC. Because this is something that's very important to us, we have a special offer for anyone who adopts a new pet.
Once you bring your new cat home, call 832-786-8579 and tell us about your adoption experience. In return, Pet Wants Houston Inner Loop owner Jaime Graham will provide a free 15-minute nutrition consultation. At the end of the consultation, you'll also receive a free 2 pound sample of any Pet Wants cat food blend.